Re: CellFill - Irregular data and Coastlines.

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:02:33 -0600 (MDT)

> Hi,
>
> I've been reading about a new Fill method in ncl-talk
> called CellFill do you know whether it has been
> implimented yet and whether it can be used
> within PyNGL.
>
> The data I'm plotting is from an ocean model with
> irregular depths levels eg.
>
> depth=[5000.0,3576.0,2520.0,1738.0,1158.0,728.8,410.6,174.8,0.0]
>
> I can contour this fine but my Y/depth axis is irregular rather than
> linear. Is there any way to plot this data within PyNGL with
> a linear depth axis. There is something called gsnYAxisIrregular2Linear
>
> available under GSUN but I can't find an equilvalent for PyNGL.
>
> Also the model I use is very low resolution 36x36 lat/lon. Thus the
> predefined coastines don't match well with my data. Is there any
> way to introduce a user-defined coastline map into PyNGL.
>
> Many thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> David

Hi David,

Pretty much anything you can do (graphically) in NCL you can also do
with PyNGL. I say "pretty much" because there are some NCL scripts we
wrote to simplify the graphical process in some cases, and these may
not be available to PyNGL.

Would you be able to provide us with a dataset so we can try plotting
your data with PyNGL? I'm still new to the CellFill capability
myself, and would love to try it on some real data.

--Mary